Students with Families

If you plan to bring your family or dependents (wife, husband, partner or children) with you to Australia, you will have to consider specific arrangements for their visas and living arrangements. You will also need to budget your living costs accordingly.

Nomination of Student Dependents
If members of your family unit, who are not included in your initial student visa application, would like to join you in Australia later, you must nominate them to join you and they must make a separate visa application.

For further information please visit the Department of Home Affairs website

International students with children have unique needs and WAIFS will provide support and assistance for you and your family to adjust to your new life in Australia.

WAIFS also runs a Parents Group designed to bring families together from different nations. The Parents Group is a support network and social event for international students who have children.

A Perth publication, you may find helpful, is a free magazine called The Parents Paper. They also have a website.

It has a lot of useful information about activities and resources for children, as well as some articles about current issues. This free magazine is usually available from shopping centers, large food stores (Woolworths, Coles, IGA) some schools, pre-schools, day care centres, doctors’ offices, family-friendly businesses and public libraries.

If you have any questions about your children’s needs that aren’t answered in this booklet, please do not hesitate to ask us and we will find the answer for you.

Spouse/Partner Work Entitlements:
Spouses/Partners are able to work 20 hours per week throughout the student visa and not just in term time. They can start work when the student visa main applicant has commenced studying.

Please visit the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website for further information.