Overseas Student Health Cover

Australia has a special health cover system for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). As part of your student visa requirements, you must have health cover for the length of your stay in Australia.

While you are studying in Perth, your OSHC will help to pay for any medical or hospital care you may require. It will also contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines and an ambulance in an emergency.

OSHC does not cover dental, optical or physiotherapy. If you want to be covered for these benefits, you will need to pay for additional private health insurance.

WAIFS’ preferred provider is Allianz Australia Insurance. However, you do not have to use this provider and can arrange your own. It is your responsibility to ensure that your membership is current while you hold a student visa. See the Allianz website for further information.


For more general information regarding OSHC please visit:
Australian Goverment of Home Affairs
The Department of Health